Subaru Forester 2017: How much can this car tow?
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2017
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Forester Reviews
- Subaru SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Maryse
I did some research and found that some sites say that the 2017 Subaru Forester could tow a braked trailer of 1500kg. Other sites said that the Forester could only tow 1500lbs on some sites and 1500kg braked on some others. Which is it and why the drop from 2017 to 2018?
Answered by CarsGuide30 May 2020
This is a classic case of the dangers of researching through websites you don’t know and can’t trust. The 1500-pound limit is probably from a North American website and since different markets sometimes have very different vehicle specifications (even though they’re sold under the same badge) taking such info at face value is a risky business.
Many websites simply have no idea of the facts of a particular matter, so it’s important to stick with sites like this one with a proper policy on accuracy and one that employs proper motoring journalists rather than operating as a fan site.
Meantime, here are the facts on towing limits for a Subaru Forester: The 2017 Forester can tow a braked trailer up to 1500kg in weight for all models that use the petrol engine (either 2.0 or 2.5 litres) and require standard ULP. The diesel Forester and versions that use the higher-grade two-litre petrol (which required Premium ULP) can tow 1800kg. That didn’t change for the 2018 model-year, so no reduction in towing capacity exists between the two years.
Other Subaru Forester problems
- What is causing a whistling noise from the exhaust of my 2007 Subaru Forester?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Cruise-control not working in 2015 Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2009: Why are the warning lights flashing on the dash?
- What year is my Subaru Forester?
Most viewed in Advice
- How do electric cars work?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
How do electric cars work?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?