Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- Ford Ranger
- Isuzu D-Max
- Volkswagen Amarok
- Ford Advice
- Isuzu Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Isuzu D-Max Reviews
- Volkswagen Amarok Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
- Isuzu Commercial Range
- Isuzu Ute Range
- Volkswagen Commercial Range
- Volkswagen Ute Range
- Buying tips
Asked by David
Answered by CarsGuide10 Sep 2020
Every all-new MY21 Isuzu D-Max and select current versions of the Amarok and Ranger offer a 3500kg towing capacity maximum - namely all Amarok V6 autos and all Rangers EXCEPT the 4x2 XL Single Cab Chassis Low-Rider 2.2 Diesel at the bottom of the Ford range, and the 4x4 Raptor Double Cab Pick-Up 2.0L Diesel at the very top (they're both 2500kg).
Least torquey is the D-Max at 450Nm, followed by the Ranger (2.2L 4-cyl: 385Nm, 3.2L 5-cyl: 470Nm and 2.0L twin-turbo 4-cyl: 500Nm) and Amarok (550Nm to 580Nm), meaning the Amarok will probably be the least challenged towing a 2.8-tonne caravan. But all three should suffice.
Please note, however, that Gross Combined Mass (GCM) tallies means that there are other weight factors that need to be considered before safely towing a 2.8-tonne caravan, even with a 3500kg ute. These include things like the ute's payload, heavy bull bars, sports bars and side steps, canopies and even the number of people travelling inside. And of course, a fully-equipped and laden caravan can easily exceed the stated tare mass.
We hope this helps.
Other Isuzu D-Max problems
- Why wont the RPM of my 2015 Isuzu D-Max go higher than 2500?
- Why doesn't the radio work in my 2016 Isuzu D-Max?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?
- What is the fuel economy like in the 2020 Isuzu D-Max?
- What car should I buy?
- Isuzu D-Max 2020: Updates
- What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Isuzu D-Max 2010: Do the front wheel bearings need repacking every 30,000 kms?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Isuzu
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained