Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- Ford Ranger
- Isuzu D-Max
- Volkswagen Amarok
- Ford Advice
- Isuzu Advice
- Volkswagen Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Isuzu D-Max Reviews
- Volkswagen Amarok Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
- Isuzu Commercial Range
- Isuzu Ute Range
- Volkswagen Commercial Range
- Volkswagen Ute Range
- Buying tips
Asked by David
Answered by CarsGuide10 Sep 2020
Every all-new MY21 Isuzu D-Max and select current versions of the Amarok and Ranger offer a 3500kg towing capacity maximum - namely all Amarok V6 autos and all Rangers EXCEPT the 4x2 XL Single Cab Chassis Low-Rider 2.2 Diesel at the bottom of the Ford range, and the 4x4 Raptor Double Cab Pick-Up 2.0L Diesel at the very top (they're both 2500kg).
Least torquey is the D-Max at 450Nm, followed by the Ranger (2.2L 4-cyl: 385Nm, 3.2L 5-cyl: 470Nm and 2.0L twin-turbo 4-cyl: 500Nm) and Amarok (550Nm to 580Nm), meaning the Amarok will probably be the least challenged towing a 2.8-tonne caravan. But all three should suffice.
Please note, however, that Gross Combined Mass (GCM) tallies means that there are other weight factors that need to be considered before safely towing a 2.8-tonne caravan, even with a 3500kg ute. These include things like the ute's payload, heavy bull bars, sports bars and side steps, canopies and even the number of people travelling inside. And of course, a fully-equipped and laden caravan can easily exceed the stated tare mass.
We hope this helps.
Other Isuzu D-Max problems
- Does the 2014 Isuzu D-Max have a DPF filter in the exhaust system?
- Will a 2006 Isuzu nudge bar fit on my new 2021 Isuzu D-Max.
- What can I do after the engine cover arms of my 2019 Isuzu D-Max broke after being serviced?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Why doesn't my Android connect via Bluetooth in my 2017 Isuzu D-Max?
- Why wont the RPM of my 2015 Isuzu D-Max go higher than 2500?
- Why doesn't the radio work in my 2016 Isuzu D-Max?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?