Toyota HiLux 2007: Desert driving
- Toyota HiLux
- Toyota HiLux 2007
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiLux Reviews
- Toyota Ute Range
- Off road
Asked by Bruce Whittaker
I have just arrived back from a trip to the Simpson desert in my 2007 Toyota Hilux diesel auto ute, which was packed to the brim with extra fuel, water, camping gear etc. We encountered very tough driving conditions with an incredible number of tracks washed, water logged and muddied tracks, sand dune after sand dune including Big Red. This trip was a real test for the vehicle as far as I was concerned and at no time did the transmission or any other part of the car cause the slightest worry. Remarkably, the fuel consumption went from 11.0 L/100 km city driving to just 11.2 L/100 km. The secret I believe is that I drive the transmission as if it were a manual. While the transmission might be suspect, if you use the transmission as mentioned above, it may prevent the over-heating problem that some have experienced.
Answered by CarsGuide21 Oct 2010
It's something other owners could think about, but it seems to defeat the purpose of buying an auto transmission.
Other Toyota HiLux problems
- Datsun 720 ute - Were they better than the HiLux?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Will Toyota make a 3.3 litre diesel V6 engine in the Fortuner?
- When is the 2021 Toyota HiLux SR5+ being released?
- What is the fuel consumption for a 1999 Toyota Hilux?
- What dual cab 4x4 ute should I buy?
- Can the Toyota HiLux be flat-towed?
- X-Trail or HiLux?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?