Toyota Kluger 2011: Does it have a rear door sensor?
- Toyota Kluger
- Toyota Kluger 2011
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Kluger Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Jodi
My three-year-old son climbed over the back seat and into the parcel area of our 2011 Toyota Kluger. Without realising he was there I pressed the auto close on the rear door. It closes slowly. My son started screaming. The door had closed on his arm. His arm was slightly bruised and we later found a small break. My question is does the door have a sensor. When it closes on an obstruction does it stop closing or does it continue to apply pressure until the obstruction is removed.
Answered by CarsGuide2 Jun 2017
We contacted Toyota about your concern and a spokesman responded with the following: "We are very sorry to learn that your reader has experienced this accident. I can confirm that the power back door fitted to the 2011 Kluger indeed includes jam protection functionality, which reverses the direction of the door, should it detect an obstruction or resistance. Additionally, when the power back door is either opening or closing, the vehicle hazard lamps flash and an audible warning sounds, to notify the occupants and passers-by that the door is either coming up or down. During the final 330 mm (approx.) of the closing arc, the speed at which the back door closes reduces prior to engaging the lock mechanism. While the above safety features are built into the door mechanism, as with any automated function or technology, it is important that the operator ensures conditions are safe and appropriate at all times during usage. I hope your reader's son makes a full and speedy recovery."
Other Toyota Kluger problems
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Why does my 2011 Toyota Kluger turn off when I turn sharp corners?
- My 2017 Toyota Kluger is just out of warranty and needs a new water pump, should Toyota cover the cost?
- Why did my 2018 Toyota Kluger jump from drive into neutral?
- Which Toyota Kluger models have a GPS?
- Will an engine replacement change the value of my Toyota Kluger 2019?
- Why does my 2019 Toyota Kluger use so much oil?
- Does the 2004 Toyota Kluger Grande have a timing chain or belt?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- A guide to converting your old car to...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
A guide to converting your old car to electric
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?