Can I use a 2001 Ford Focus motor in my 2002 Ford Focus?
- Ford Focus
- Ford Focus 2002
- Ford Advice
- Ford Focus Reviews
- Ford Hatchback Range
- Ford Sedan Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Peggy
Would a motor from a 2001 Ford Focus four-door fit a 2002 Ford Focus four-door?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Feb 2021
The Ford Focus wasn’t released into Australia until late 2002, so it’s very unlikely you have a 2001 model unless it’s been privately imported. At which point, all bets are off in this regard as different markets had different models which may or may not be swappable.
But if the two cars are the same model of Focus and aren’t either side of an upgrade, facelift or model change AND provided they used the same engine from the factory (1.8 litre or 2.0 litre) then you should be able to repower one with the other’s engine. The problems would start if one was a 1.8 and the other a 2.0 when you might find that wiring looms, computer software, sensors and even engine mounts might differ from each other, making the swap much harder than it should be. Don’t forget to inform your insurance company and your local registration authorities of the change of engine number.
Other Ford Focus problems
- Will a Ford Focus radiator work on a 2002 Ford Cougar?
- The front passenger tyre on my 2006 Ford Focus fell off. Are the axles on the 2002 and 2006 Ford Focus interchangeable?
- I need a new front driver's door for my 2014 Ford Focus, will a 2012 or 2016 Ford Focus door work?
- Will headlights from a 2005 Ford Focus interchange with a 2000 Ford Focus?
- Should I sell my 2004 Ford Focus to the wreckers?
- What is the best dog-friendly car?
- Will a 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 manual clutch plate work in a 2009 Ford Focus?
- Which generation Focus can I use to replace a window on a 2016 Ford Focus?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia