Vintage car difficult to fill up at bowser
- Ford Falcon
- Ford Falcon 2016
- Ford Advice
- Ford Falcon Reviews
- Ford Sedan Range
- Classic Cars
Asked by Mike Musgrave
I own a gorgeous 1973 Lincoln Continental Mark IV, but I have trouble filling it with fuel. The filler is behind the flip-down number plate in the rear bumper. The fuel bowser nozzle keeps shutting-off as I try to fill the tank. My mate has the same problem with his XR Falcon. How can I fill the tank without being on my knees and trying to trickle feed the tank for what seems an eternity?
Answered by CarsGuide12 Feb 2016
Your car and also your mate’s car are both old and you’re filling them with new bowsers that have a higher flow rate that the old tanks can’t handle. It affects lots of old cars, and some not-so-old ones. One way is to avoid using the full flow rates, instead only use ½ to ¾ of the full capacity of the pump, but that can be hard with the filler located down behind the rego plate on the bumper. Your idea of using a hose and funnel so you stand while filling up should be easier, you just need to judge when you’re getting near full and slacken off so you don’t lose too much fuel if it overflows.
Other Ford Falcon problems
- What is causing my 2001 Ford AU Falcon ute to miss?
- Ford Falcon 2003: Leaking coolant and replacing remote locking
- Ford Falcon 2002: Why does the engine keep cutting out?
- Ford Falcon: Can I use premium unleaded fuel?
- Ford Falcon 2010: Is semi-synthetic oil appropriate for my car?
- What is the best tow vehicle to buy?
- Ford Falcon 2009: Are there issues with the timing chain?
- Ford Falcon 2001: How to change the wiring?
Most viewed in Advice
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4