Toyota Camry Azura 2001: Why doesn't my car start on hot days?
Asked by Garry
I have a 2001 Toyota Camry Azura, which I purchased new. Two years ago it developed an issue of not starting on hot days. It will start in the morning and evening, but not when it is hot or has had the direct sun shining on the front. I gave it to my local Toyota dealership/service centre for two weeks and it rained for one and did not fault but then it heated up and it failed to start. They said their computers changed the year after my model and so they were not able to help. It turns over as though it wants to start but just does not fire. I have run it all day in the drive mid-summer with no problem even turning it off up to a dozen times and restarting within a few minutes without a problem, but if I then leave it to cool down/heat up it does not start. It is a second car and so I am fortunate that I don't need it for anything regular just usually weekend stuff but I need to be careful. I find if I leave windows down and bonnet up it will often start when it would not have had it been shut up. Any thoughts?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Nov 2019
That’s very odd, I’m not surprised the Toyota people couldn’t find the answer. Take it to another mechanic and have them run a diagnostic check. If nothing shows up it’s probably going to be a case of replacing parts until you find the one that fixes it. In that case I would start with the ECM.
Other Toyota Camry problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2017 Toyota Aurion?
- What car should I buy for $5,000?
- Should I buy an electric car now or later?
- Which pre-2010 Toyota Aurion model year is best?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- What car should I buy?
- Toyota Camry 2012: Can I mix fully synthetic and semi synthetic oils?
- Toyota Camry: Can I exchange the space saver for a full size spare?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia