Toyota LandCruiser: difficulty reaching sixth gear
- Toyota Land Cruiser
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2009
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- Off road
Asked by Bruce Barrett
WHEN I found my new Toyota LandCruiser wouldn't select top gear until 115-120km/h I asked my dealer if it could be fixed and was told they could "flash'' the gearbox and make it change into sixth gear at low to mid-90km/h. The car is now great to drive, changing into sixth at a realistic speed of about 95km/h. The problem is that it works only in manual mode. Why couldn't it be programmed to change in drive mode at the same speed? Toyota's customer service people told me the car will change into sixth gear in drive. All you have to do is reach 100km/h, then take your foot off the accelerator and, when sixth gear is engaged lightly, put your foot back on the accelerator. But to do that you have to take your eyes off the road to focus on the speed. I bought an auto so it would all be done for me. Can you please help with a resolution to this problem?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2009
YOU'RE right, it is a messy situation, so we asked Toyota for an explanation, which was: The Land Cruiser diesel automatic transmission gear change points were optimally chosen to ensure the best balance between performance, driveability and economy. In order to maintain the original design for most owners and also provide an option for earlier sixth-gear engagement, an ECU reprogram was developed to change the sixth gear shift point when "S'' mode (S-6) is selected. Once "S-6'' appears in the display, the transmission will automatically select 1 to 6 according to the vehicle speed and driving conditions similar to "D'' range except that sixth gear engages earlier.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser problems
- Toyota LandCruiser 2016:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series: What is the height of the running board?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2014: Is this a good car to buy second-hand?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 1998: What is the towing power of this car?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2006: How much would this car sell for?
- Toyota Land Cruiser 2009: Why is my car beeping when I touch the brake pedal?
- What is the bet car for towing?
- Toyota Land Cruiser GXL 2018: Auto transmission issues
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers