Subaru Forester 2013: Is it using too much oil?
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2013
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Forester Reviews
- Subaru SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Trevor
I have a 2013 Subaru Forester 2.5S. It has done 80,000 km in 5 1/2 years, and has been serviced as per the Service Log Book. Since approx. the 20,000 km mark the engine has been using a lot of oil. The low oil indicator light comes on around 5000 km after it has been serviced.
I get the car serviced by Subaru and they have noted it, but say this is "acceptable oil usage". The Subaru Service Dept. said if oil was required at 3000 km or below that would be an issue. There are no oil leaks as Subaru tested the car for me … again. It is frustrating as the car is great except for the high oil usage. I top it up with the Subaru recommended oil each time. Is this a normal or acceptable thing for this type of vehicle? Have you had other people raise this with you? What can be done to prevent this?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Jan 2019
All engines use oil, some use more than others, and you are expected to top them up if the level drops to the low mark. There is no rule that says a car will get from one service to the next without adding some oil, and with the extended service intervals in play today it's more likely that you will have to add oil at some point before reaching the next service. Subaru tells you it's ok, I would accept their advice.
Other Subaru Forester problems
- What is causing a whistling noise from the exhaust of my 2007 Subaru Forester?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Cruise-control not working in 2015 Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2017: How much can this car tow?
- Subaru Forester 2009: Why are the warning lights flashing on the dash?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?