Subaru Forester 2003: Rotten-egg smell?
- Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2003
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Forester Reviews
- Subaru SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Tony
I AM having trouble with a 2003 Subaru Forester. Ever since I bought it there has been a rotten-egg-type smell when I park the car. I have been told this is the smell of sulphur from the catalytic converter and that nothing can be done. But after spending $35,000 on a new car I don't see why my family and I should have to endure this foul smell every time we step out of the car. I have informed the service manager twice, but on picking up the car after a scheduled service I was told the mechanic did not notice any smell. Subaru told me to use Mobil petrol which I did -- without any change.
Answered by CarsGuide3 Dec 2004
THE rotten-egg smell is sulphur dioxide, usually a sign your catalytic converter has failed. If that's what you smell take it back to the dealer and pursue a resolution with him. A malfunctioning converter should be picked up by a diagnostic check by the mechanic, but may have been missed. If the smell is always present when you get out of the car, take the car back to the dealer and go for a drive with the service manager or mechanic to show him what you are concerned about.
Other Subaru Forester problems
- What is causing a whistling noise from the exhaust of my 2007 Subaru Forester?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- Cruise-control not working in 2015 Subaru Forester
- Subaru Forester 2017: How much can this car tow?
- Subaru Forester 2009: Why are the warning lights flashing on the dash?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Best small cars under $20,000