Gear slippage problem on Mercedes-Benz CLK 230
- Mercedes-Benz CLK 320
- Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class
- Mercedes-Benz CLK200
- Mercedes-Benz CLK230
- Mercedes-Benz CLK430
- Mercedes-Benz CLK55
- Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class 2000
- Mercedes-Benz CLK200 2000
- Mercedes-Benz CLK230 2000
- Mercedes-Benz CLK320 2000
- Mercedes-Benz CLK430 2000
- Mercedes-Benz CLK55 2000
- Mercedes-Benz Advice
- Mercedes-Benz CLK 320 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz CLK200 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz CLK230 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz CLK430 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz CLK55 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz Commercial Range
- Mercedes-Benz Coupe Range
- Mercedes-Benz Convertible Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Pete
About four months ago I experienced a very similar gear slippage problem with my 2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK 230 cabriolet when changing from third to fourth. I steered clear of the Mercedes dealers and took it to a local auto guy. He stated that it could be either a $10 return spring - apparently a common fault - or third gear has gone. Unfortunately it was the latter, but he fixed it for reasonable $1700, and car goes great. I would suggest Bernie (Carsguide, February 7) steers clear of the dealer and go to a reputable automatic transmission place, and save heaps.
Answered by CarsGuide21 Feb 2014
It's always a good idea to get a second opinion when facing the prospect of a large repair bill on something like an automatic transmission. Independent specialists who are working on automatic transmissions all the time often have greater knowledge about them than the dealership mechanics who don't work on them every day.
Other Mercedes-Benz CLK200 problemsSEE ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CLK200 PROBLEMS
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mercedes-Benz
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia