Factory-fitted or aftermarket heavy-duty clutch
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Nissan Pathfinder 2012
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan Pathfinder Reviews
- Nissan SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Russell Clements
Recently, when towing a caravan with my Nissan Pathfinder ST diesel, which has done 105,000 km, the clutch starting showing signs of slipping on two quite steep hills. I could not replicate the slipping on the homeward bound trip on similarly steep hills and have not experienced any problems with the clutch when not towing. I believe Pathfinders are known to have weak clutches, is it time to have mine replaced, and if so is there an after market, more robust, alternative to the factory one? I will be towing the van up north for an extended break next winter and would like to be assured that at least the clutch is up to the task.
Answered by CarsGuide25 Jan 2013
If you've done 105,000 km on the original clutch, you've done well, but if it's starting to slip it's getting close to the time it needs to be replaced. The original factory-fitted clutch has done a pretty good job for you, so you could happily fit a new one, but there are aftermarket heavy-duty clutches available and one of those might be more suitable given you plan to do a lot of towing with it.
Other Nissan Pathfinder problems
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- What are the best 7-seat SUV's?
- Failed clutch in 2006 Nissan Pathfinder
- Will a Nissan Pathfinder tow a horse float?
- What's a fuel efficient SUV on the market?
- Toyota Prado: Buying tips
- How to find cars that are easy to get in and out of?
- Replacement options for a 2005 Pathfinder?
Most viewed in Advice
- How do electric cars work?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
How do electric cars work?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?