Which is the best Bond car?
Skyfall sees the return of the quintessential Bond car, the Aston Martin. A silver-birch DB5 made its debut in Goldfinger in 1964 with an array of gadgets such as pop-out machine guns, bullet shield, tyre-shredding Boadicea-style wheels, an ejector seat, a car phone and revolving number plates which would be considered illegal in these days of speed cameras.
One of the two DB5s built specially for Goldfinger sold at auction for $4.1 million in 2010. The other was rebuilt as a regular road car and sold on, only to be stolen from its last owner in Florida. While most people associate the British master spy with Astons, the original Ian Fleming books had him driving a Bentley. In a new book commissioned by Ian Fleming Publications, author Jeffery Deaver has returned 007 to a Bentley in the pages of Carte Blanche.
Despite Bond driving a Bentley in Fleming's books, his first car in a movie was a Sunbeam Alpine in the 1962 film Dr No. He didn't drive a Bentley until the second Bond flick, From Russia With Love, in 1963 in which the licensed-to-kill agent drove a Bentley Mark IV. He also drove Bentleys in On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) and Moonraker (1979). It wasn't until the third Bond movie, Goldfinger in 1964, that Bond drove the famous DB5.
James Bond cars
- Dr No (1962): Sunbeam Alpine, Chevrolet Bel Air convertible
- From Russia With Love (1963): Bentley Mark IV
- Goldfinger (1964): Aston Martin DB5, Rolls-Royce, Mercedes 190 coupe, Lincoln Continental, Ford Mustang convertible, Rolls-Royce Phantom III
- Thunderball (1965): Aston Martin DB5, Ford Mustang convertible, BSA Lightning 650cc motorcycle, gyrocopter
- You Only Live Twice (1967): Toyota 2000 GT, BMW 2000 CS
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969): Aston Martin DBS, Mercury Cougar, Bentley Mark II Continental, Rolls-Royce Corniche
- Diamonds are Forever (1971): 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, Triumph Stag, moonbuggy
- Live And Let Die (1973): Glastron speedboat, double-decker London bus, Chevrolet Impala convertible, Mini Moke
- The Man With The Golden Gun (1974): AMC Hornet and Matador, Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
- The Spy Who Loved Me (1977): Lotus Esprit, Wetbike concept, Ford Cortina 2.3 Ghia, Mini Moke
- Moonraker (1979): Bentley Mark IV, Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II
- For Your Eyes Only (1981): Citroen 2CV, Lotus Esprit Turbo, Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II
- Octopussy (1983): Merc-Benz 250 SE, BMW 5 Series, Alfa Romeo GTV
- A View To A Kill (1985): Renault taxi, Ford LTD, Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud II, Chevrolet Corvette C4, Jeep Cherokee (XJ)
- The Living Daylights (1987): Aston Martin DBS and V8 Vantage, Audi 200 Quattro
- Licence To Kill (1989): Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, Kenworth petrol tanker
- GoldenEye (1995): BMW Z3 roadster, Aston Martin DB5, Russian tank, Ferrari 355
- Tomorrow Never Dies (1997): Aston Martin DB5, BMW 750iL, BMW R1200C motorcycle
- The World is Not Enough (1999): BMW Z8, Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow
- Die Another Day (2002): Aston Martin Vanquish, Jaguar XKR, pink Ford Thunderbird convertible
- Casino Royale (2006): Aston Martin DBS and DB5, Jaguar E Type Roadster, Fiat Panda 4x4, Ford Transit, Ford Mondeo
- Quantum of Solace (2008): Aston Martin DBS V12, Alfa Romeo 159 & 156, Audi A6, Ford Ka & Edge, Jaguar XJ8, Volvo S40T5, Volkswagen Type 1.