Subaru Liberty GT STI-tuned 2006 review
- Subaru Liberty
- Subaru Liberty 2005
- Subaru Liberty Reviews
- Subaru Reviews
- Subaru Sedan Range
- Sports cars
- Prestige & Luxury Cars
Just 300 of the numbered, limited edition GTs have been put together and at the time of going to press all but 40 of them have been sold.
Not bad for a car designed to fill a void between now and when the new model arrives later this year.
By way of explanation Subaru was forced to withdraw the Liberty GT from sale at the end of the year when new engine emission regulations came into force.
Explore the 2005 Subaru Liberty range
The old 2.0-litre turbocharged donk no longer complies and will be replaced by the 2.5-litre unit from the Impreza.
But the company is able to offer the STI tuned limited edition 2.0-litre models under the low volume import rule.
Liberty GT tuned by STI is a slick, racy looking unit that offers even higher levels of performance.
- 2.0-litre turbocharged engine delivers 200kW of power and 343Nm of torque (manual) and 190kW and 343Nm of torque (auto), up from 190kW/330Nm and 180kW/ 310Nm respectively.
- Result is improved performance, with more linear performance and throttle response, delivering enhanced acceleration at lower engine speed.
- You get more show with the go, notably STI badging, deeper front spoiler and quad-tip exhaust system.
- Two STI twin tip sports mufflers complete the mechanicals, enhancing exhaust flow, providing better turbo response and a sportier note.
- STI springs drop the car 15mm, sports tuned Bilstein front and rear struts have been added and a titanium look front strut brace increases rigidity, boosting handling and steering re- sponse.
- An STI rear lateral link set reduces suspension friction, improving ride, roadhold- ing and steering precision.
- Customised body styling includes a front lip and rear boot spoiler enhancing aerodynamics by increasing down force and improving the front lift coefficient (CLf) by about 80 per cent.
- Unique 18in wheels feature a wider, 7.5in, rim and 215/45R18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres maximise grip.
- Inside, an all-black interior features leather seats with STI embroidered suede inserts, complete with trademark red Stitching.
- There's also titanium finish trim on the dash, centre console, door trim and an aluminium pedal set.
- STI-red luminescent dash cluster lights complete the interior upgrades.
- The manual variant features a quick shift gear lever.
- The car is offered in black, silver and dark metallic grey, with two wheel colours. Black cars feature charcoal wheels while Premium Silver and Urban Grey vehicles have brushed silver wheels.
- Standard features include front, side and curtain airbags, Momo steering wheel, power operated driver's seat and premium, six-stack 13-speaker McIntosh sound system.
- Although the car takes premium unleaded fuel economy in our test car was excellent at just 9.8L/100km.
- Pricing for the Liberty GT Tuned by STI starts at $59,490 for the five-speed manual sedan.
VERDICT: What's not to like. The STI-tuned GT will be a very collectable model if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one. Only 300 of the $59,490 special edition models have been built.
Range and Specs
|2.0i||2.0L, ULP, 4 SP AUTO||$4,600 – 7,480||2005 Subaru Liberty 2005 2.0i Pricing and Specs|
|2.0i Luxury||2.0L, ULP, 5 SP MAN||$4,500 – 7,260||2005 Subaru Liberty 2005 2.0i Luxury Pricing and Specs|
|2.5i||2.5L, ULP, 5 SP MAN||$5,000 – 7,810||2005 Subaru Liberty 2005 2.5i Pricing and Specs|
|2.5i Premium||2.5L, ULP, 4 SP AUTO||$5,300 – 8,250||2005 Subaru Liberty 2005 2.5i Premium Pricing and Specs|