Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Opel Insignia, Alfa Romeo Tonale, Fiat 500 and other models that could help the new Stellantis merger in Australia
What would be the world’s fourth largest car company – by...
Browse over 9,000 car reviews
Sorry, there are no cars that match your search
Sorry, there are no cars that match your search
The report comes as Holden contemplates building V6 Commodores in China after delivering a car industry bombshell on Wednesday by confirming Australian manufacturing would end in 2017 following a directive from GM Holden's American headquarters and a failed gamble with the Federal Government.
News Corp Australia can reveal the death sentence to the Australian-made legend has resulted in V8 Supercars secretly plotting a name change and category shake-up with the "V8'' Holden facing extinction.
The sport will move away from the long-serving V8 power plant amid the biggest shake-up in Australian car manufacturing history and avoid becoming another NASCAR, which use uniform bodyshells that are nothing like a road car.
GM Holden is understood to be considering several options, including building a new platform Commodore in China, but The Daily Telegraph understands there will not be a V8 Holden on the showroom floor for the first time since the Kingswood was born in 1968.
The Australian icon may also decide to follow Ford in an American muscle showdown and axe the Commodore for a Camaro to war with the Mustang, which will be a Falcon substitute for rev heads.
News Corp Australia last week revealed international racing giant Roger Penske had sent his first lieutenant to Australia with global Ford heavyweight Jamie Allison in a move that could see the Mustang and V8 Supercars spearhead a Ford led industry shake-up.
While Holden refused to reveal their master plan after a failed bid to snare public cash, News Corp Australia can confirm Holden have indicated they will remain in V8 Supercars beyond 2017 sport likely to become the brand's most important marketing platform.
Whether it is a foreign made V6 Commodore, a mid-sized substitute, or an American legend, the company will need the help of V8 Supercars to sell the non-Australian substitute to their legion of Aussie fans.
V8 boss James Warburton, the former TV boss, was confident Holden would continue its famous Australian motor racing legacy, even though it will be a new look war against bitter enemy Ford. "It's business as usual," V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton said.
"We do know that while Holden may not make cars in Australia beyond 2017 they will continue to market and sell cars here, just as they have been for more than half a century. From a marketing and sales perspective there is no greater platform than V8 Supercars and the audiences we bring to any manufacturer, regardless of where the cars are built.
"That's why we introduced the new generation car this year with incredible success. It was a visionary step which allows our sport to adapt to changing market conditions. Our sport has never been in better shape after another record year."
With Nissan already entering the V8 Supercar series with a V6 road car, the sports move away from the V8 engine would allow further manufacturer to join the series and see a major shake-up in the sports rule.
The offshore shift will leave up to 3000 Holden workers without a job by 2017 with the announcing causing uproar when Victorian Premier Denis Napthine made the announcement in State Parliament.
Acting Prime Minister Warren Truss said Holden boss Mr Deveraux told him around 1.50pm the decision had been "made in Detroit" that the company would be "closing a significant part of their operation" in Australia and New Zealand by the end of 2017.
"We regret the fact that GM is to phase down its operations in this country," Mr Truss told Parliament. "Holden has been an iconic national brand for Australians, a part of our heritage. It has meant a great deal to Australians over several generations. Many of us have had the pleasure of travelling and owning Australian-built Holdens and it is a pity that will not continue into the future."
Holden issued a statement reads that give little of their future plans away. "Holden will continue to have a significant presence in Australia beyond 2017, comprising a national sales company, a national parts distribution centre and a global design studio,'' Devereux said. "This has been a difficult decision given Holden's long and proud history of building vehicles in Australia," Mr Devereux said.
"We are dedicated to working with our teams, unions and the local communities, along with the federal and state governments, to support our people."
Devereux has been appointed to a role in China, where many are predicting he will be part of an all new Chinese built V6 Commodore.