Why wont the RPM of my 2015 Isuzu D-Max go higher than 2500?
- Isuzu D-Max
- Isuzu D-Max 2015
- Isuzu Advice
- Isuzu D-Max Reviews
- Isuzu Commercial Range
- Isuzu Ute Range
Asked by Gregory
I have a 2015 Isuzu D-Max and the rpm won’t go higher than 2500. What could be the problem? I checked the throttle sensor, the fuel filter, everything.
Answered by CarsGuide9 Oct 2020
The first thought here is that you’re dealing with a dodgy throttle-position sensor or some other sensor that is giving the on-board computer a reason not to exceed 2500rpm. Or tricking the computer into thinking that the engine is spinning faster than it really is. Have you had the vehicle scanned? It’s a cheap way of reducing a lot of the guesswork in a case like this.
Like any engine, of course, a turbo-diesel won’t rev beyond the speed that the fuel supply can support. You say you’ve changed the fuel filter, but have you checked the pump pressure and the fuel-delivery rate? A problem with the pump or fuel lines could easily produce the symptoms you have. You could even have a blocked fuel pick-up in the tank.
The other problem with modern turbo-diesels is that they are prone to clogging their intake systems with a black gunk that is a by-product of soot and oil mist from the vehicle’s exhaust-gas recirculation and crankcase-ventilation systems respectively. This black, ooze can sometimes almost completely block the intake path for air entering the engine and will cause all sorts of dramas, including the one you’re seeing.
Other Isuzu D-Max problems
- Why doesn't the radio work in my 2016 Isuzu D-Max?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?
- What is the fuel economy like in the 2020 Isuzu D-Max?
- What car should I buy?
- Isuzu D-Max 2020: Updates
- What do you recommend for towing a horse trailer and large draft-horse?
- Isuzu D-Max 2010: Do the front wheel bearings need repacking every 30,000 kms?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Isuzu
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
When to use low range in your 4x4
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?