Why is the steering on my 2010 Holden Barina unstable?
- Holden Barina
- Holden Barina 2010
- Holden Advice
- Holden Barina Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Joan
I recently bought a 2010 Holden Barina Hatch. It seems quite floppy in the steering, especially on straight stretches of road. Any suggestions as to why this would happen? It seems fine in town but feels a bit unstable on the open road.
Answered by CarsGuide22 Aug 2020
A car that feels unstable even in a straight line is a potential death trap. The higher speeds on the open road (as opposed to driving around the suburbs) are obviously amplifying the problem, but whatever it is needs to be fixed fast. To be honest, I wouldn’t be driving it at all.
You could be looking at a problem with either the steering system itself, worn suspension or even a loose (or rusted) front cross-member that is allowing things to move in directions they shouldn’t. Don’t rule out poor wheel alignment or even incorrect tyre pressures, either. Has the car been crashed and repaired? Poor crash repairs can leave a car misaligned, making it steer and handle oddly. Either way, get it checked and fixed pronto.
Other Holden Barina problems
- What is causing my 2006 Holden Barina to select a gear but not move?
- Holden Barina 2000: Why does my car randomly lose momentum?
- Holden Barina: Parts not stocked in Australia
- What is the correct tyre pressure for the Holden Barina 2010?
- Holden Barina 2011: Does this car have a timing chain or belt?
- Holden Barina 2010: Rattling noise in the gearbox
- Holden Barina 2018: Leaking hot water
- Holden Barina 2011: How to check the transmission fluids?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers