Why is the gear stick in my 2015 Holden Colorado wobbly?
- Holden Colorado
- Holden Colorado 2015
- Holden Advice
- Holden Colorado Reviews
- Holden Commercial Range
Asked by Kelly
My Holden Colorado 2015 manual has a very wobbly gear stick. As in, it is hard to know where you are during shifting. Is this a problem with linkages or the bushes on the gear stick? Cheers in advance
Answered by CarsGuide22 Jul 2021
You’re on the right track by asking about the gear-stick and its linkages; either of those two things is almost certain to be the cause of your problem. The gearstick itself needs to pivot in two planes, so there’s always scope for wear to develop in those joints and create the sloppy shift action you’re experiencing. In fact, because the shifter on your car bolts directly on to the gearbox – with no external linkages – wear in the shifter pivots is a very good bet as the cause.
You can remove the shift lever, take it apart and replace the bushes that allow the shifter to move and select each gear. That should tighten up the shift action and give you much better feel for what’s going on. The other possibility is that the shifter has become loose where it bolts on to the gearbox, or the rubber gasket that sits between the shifter and the transmission has perished or failed, allowing movement to occur.
Other Holden Colorado problems
- Why does the engine light keep coming on in my 2008 Holden Colorado?
- How do I disable the seat-belt sensor for the passenger seat in my 2012 Holden Colorado?
- Can I increase the brightness of the dash lights in my 2013 Holden Colorado?
- What is causing the brake pedal to sink slowly to the floor in my 2016 Holden Colorado?
- What is causing a front end knock in my 2020 Holden Colorado ZL1?
- How can I test if there's too much blow-by in the engine of my 2010 Holden Colorado?
- Holden Colorado 2011: Problems with the crankshaft
- Holden Colorado 2013: What are the known issues for this model?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Everything you need to know about car sharing...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Everything you need to know about car sharing in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia