Why is the clutch making an odd noise in my 2015 Mazda BT-50?
- Mazda BT-50
- Mazda BT-50 2015
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda BT-50 Reviews
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
Asked by Wayne
The clutch makes a noise when the pedal is out and in neutral in my 2015 Mazda BT-50, what could the issue be?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
The most common cause of a noise like this is likely to be a worn throw-out bearing, also known as a release bearing. Like most bearings, this component is designed to allow interaction between a moving surface (in this case the clutch which is turning at engine speed) and a stationary one (the clutch fork that physically disengages the clutch when you stand on the clutch pedal).
If this bearing becomes contaminated, rusty or just plain worn out, it can begin to emit the sort of sound you’re hearing. Why doesn’t it do it when the clutch pedal is pressed? Because the springs in the clutch are loading the bearing and taking the wear (or slack) out of it. When you release the clutch, the bearing relaxes and is free to make its noise again. Sometimes the reverse is true, and depending on where precisely the wear is located, the bearing makes the most noise when it’s loaded by the clutch springs. Either way, it’s a gearbox-out job, but beyond that it’s not a difficult task for a workshop.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- Why is my 2019 Mazda BT-50 is losing traction?
- Why is my 2015 Mazda BT-50 losing power?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Are the fifth and sixth gears in my 2016 Mazda BT-50 overdrive gears?
- Why does the transmission in my 2017 Mazda BT-50 take so long to engage?
- Why has the transmission light come on in my 2012 Mazda BT-50?
- Is there an allowable tolerance for the fitment of the aluminium tray on my 2020 Mazda BT-50?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What are my rights when pulled over by police...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
What are my rights when pulled over by police?