Why is the 4WD light coming on in my 2010 Holden Captiva?
- Holden Captiva
- Holden Advice
- Holden Captiva Reviews
- Holden SUV Range
- Family Cars
- 7 seater
Asked by Tony
All the four-wheel-drive lights come on in my 2010 Holden Captiva. Sometimes, when only the anti-skid and ABS lights are on, there is a noise coming from the rear left wheel as if it’s trying to lock into four-wheel-drive. Until the four-wheel-drive lights start flashing it moves at a snail’s pace. Do you think it’s a computer problem?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
It could be a computer problem, but it could also be a mechanical one with the driveline of the car which is faulty and is triggering the warning lights you’re seeing. If the body computer is the problem, then those lights on the dashboard and the symptoms you can hear are a distinct possibility. But the noise you’re hearing is more likely to be the anti-lock brake mechanism triggering than the vehicle trying to select four-wheel-drive as the Captiva has constant four-wheel-drive, so it’s always engaged.
The reason it moves slowly when the warnings are present is because it’s going into limp-home mode – probably - to prevent any more harm coming to the vehicle itself. I’d be having it looked at promptly, as any problems with the braking or ABS hardware are, obviously, a safety issue.
Other Holden Captiva problems
- Should I buy a 2009 Holden Captiva?
- What caused my 2013 Holden Captiva to lose power and stop?
- What could be causing a vibration and metallic noise in my 2009 Holden Captiva LT?
- Does the 2013 Holden Captiva have diesel particulate filter issues?
- Is the 2012 Holden Captiva prone to transmission issues?
- What is causing my 2009 Holden Captiva to run poorly?
- Holden Captiva 2009: Should I replace a leaking turbo?
- Holden Captiva 2007: Why is the engine smoking?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Stamp duty for cars explained
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Stamp duty for cars explained
12 best EVs available in Australia
When to use low range in your 4x4