Why is my 2012 Nissan X-Trail using a lot of oil?
- Nissan X-Trail
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan X-Trail Reviews
- Nissan SUV Range
- Car Servicing
- Family Cars
Asked by Marian
My 2012 Nissan X-Trail uses oil at one litre every 1500 kilometres and it always has a black sooty exhaust. Are the piston rings worn out? it’s now has 135,000km on the clock and car runs well.
Answered by CarsGuide15 Sep 2020
Let’s start with the black exhaust pipe. All cars that run on unleaded petrol have a sooty black exhaust. The soot will be thicker if the car isn’t tuned properly, but really, the blackness is just a by-product of burning ULP.
Your oil use of about a litre every 1500km is getting towards the top of what is acceptable. Even then, it’s more than this engine should consume. The fact is that all engines use some oil, but it’s usually not enough to require topping up between oil changes. But with your usage rate, you’d need to keep a close eye on the dipstick.
The oil is clearly going somewhere, so check on the ground under where the car is parked each night and look for a pool of oil that suggests the problem is an external leak rather than internal engine wear. From there, have a workshop conduct a compression and leak-down test. The results of this will tell you if the engine’s internal parts are worn and leading to the oil being consumed.
Other Nissan X-Trail problems
- How can I fix a faulty clock spring in a 2012 Nissan X-Trail?
- Nissan X-Trail diesel problems
- My 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2002 is struggling to change gears
- Does the Nissan X-Trail 2019 come in 1.6 diesel with an automatic gearbox?
- What caused my 2006 Nissan X-Trail to overheat and lose compression?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- Why do I have to pump the clutch in my 2003 Nissan X-Trail?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Everything you need to know about car sharing...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Everything you need to know about car sharing in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia