Why has my 2009 Suzuki Swift lost power?
- Suzuki Swift
- Suzuki Swift 2009
- Suzuki Advice
- Suzuki Swift Reviews
- Suzuki Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Dylan
My 2009 Suzuki Swift has lost power and, when I come to an idle or when the engines reaches low revs, it starts to jolt. It’s also chomping through petrol way quicker than it should be. What could be the problem?
Answered by CarsGuide3 Mar 2021
Modern engines like the Suzuki’s use literally dozens of sensors to keep the engine’s computer informed on the operating temperature, quality of the fuel, coolant temperature, ambient temperature, camshaft position and lots, lots more. If just one of those sensors starts to offer up false or misleading information to the computer, the whole operation of running the engine can be compromised. That’s when you’ll get rough running and/or stalling as well as the excessive fuel consumption you’ve noted.
Rather than starting to change sensors on an ad hoc basis (which could take weeks and hundreds of dollars, and even then not arrive at a solution) the best advice is to have the car electronically scanned. At that point, the car’s computer is a good chance to tell the interrogating computer what ails it, and then you can zero in on that component and replace only the parts that are the problem.
Other Suzuki Swift problems
- Why does my 2012 Suzuki Swift struggle going up hills?
- Suzuki Swift Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Suzuki Swift?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Suzuki Swift 2012: Transmission "slipping" when going up hills
- Suzuki Swift 2008: Can it run on E10 (94) fuel?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Why is my car making noise?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Loud noise while driving
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Why your ultimate outback adventure vehicle...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Suzuki
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cheapest electric car in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Why your ultimate outback adventure vehicle is not an EV, yet | Opinion
Top five electric SUVs in Australia