Why does the transmission in my 2017 Mazda BT-50 take so long to engage?
- Mazda BT-50
- Mazda BT-50 2017
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda BT-50 Reviews
- Mazda Commercial Range
- Mazda Ute Range
Asked by Mal
I have a 2017 automatic Mazda BT-50 3.2l, when left to sit for a few days, the transmission, when Drive is selected, can take anywhere from three to 10 seconds to engage. The dealer has said this is characteristic of this model and it had all the updates but this does not sound right to me. Could you please give you take on this?
Answered by CarsGuide28 Oct 2020
My take on it is that dealers should stop telling lies to their customers. Take your problem straight to Mazda Australia’s customer service division and side-step what is clearly a smoke-screen from your dealer. It is ridiculous to suggest that a relatively new vehicle needs ten seconds to engage a gear after it’s been sitting for a few days.
As for the problem itself, start with the basics. Check for a blocked filter in the transmission (which can slow down the flow of fluid) and make sure that the fluid itself is not just the correct grade and type, but also the proper brand. These modern transmissions are complex and intricate, and even something as simple as the incorrect fluid can create chaos. Beyond those simple fixes, the problem could also be caused by a few other faults. For starters, it could be an accumulator inside the transmission that is failing. The accumulator’s job is to store some hydraulic pressure (created by the transmission’s pump) so that the transmission always has enough pressure and fluid volume available to effect gearshifts. If this accumulator is bleeding off pressure when the car sits, it will need time to refill (again, from the pump) before the unit will be able to select Drive. The other possibility is that the pump itself is slacking off and taking too long to build up pressure within the gearbox. You could also be looking at a pressure valve that has lost the plot and supplying the part of the gearbox it’s responsible for with an incorrect line pressure. Either way, a gearbox that is slow to select gears is often headed for the scrap-bin.
Given that it’s possibly a fairly major problem, it isn’t going to get any better. Your problem is that Mazda didn’t introduce its five-year warranty until August 1, 2018, and vehicles sold before that date were covered only for three years. That said, you’re BT-50 might squeak in, particularly if you pointed this problem out to the dealer some time ago (within the first three years). At that point, it’s a pre-existing condition, and it will be covered by the factory warranty as it occurred within the warranty period, even if the dealer – as it appears in this case – elected to spin you a yarn and do nothing about it.
Other Mazda BT-50 problems
- Why is my 2015 Mazda BT-50 losing power?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- Are the fifth and sixth gears in my 2016 Mazda BT-50 overdrive gears?
- Why has the transmission light come on in my 2012 Mazda BT-50?
- Is there an allowable tolerance for the fitment of the aluminium tray on my 2020 Mazda BT-50?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why is the clutch making an odd noise in my 2015 Mazda BT-50?
- What could be causing my 2009 Mazda BT-50 to misfire?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?