Why does the engine light keep coming on in my 2010 Holden Barina?
- Holden Barina
- Holden Barina 2010
- Holden Advice
- Holden Barina Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Holden Sedan Range
Asked by Philip
I have a 2010 Holden Barina with 52,000km. I bought this car new in 2010. It has been regularly serviced and I have always used BP Ultimate 98-octane fuel in it. The problem I have is the engine light keeps coming on and has been doing so for about two years now. The car has been checked by a Holden dealer and a number of items have been replaced (coil-pack, leads, spark plugs). Now they think it may be the valves and want to do a $2500 head recondition. They said it could be build-up on the valves. For a car with very low milage this sounds like rubbish to me.
Are there any known issues with this model that could be causing this problem?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Oct 2020
A build up of carbon deposits (a by-product of burning petrol) is, indeed, a known fault with this engine. If it occurs, it can create the precise symptom you’re seeing (the check-engine light) but can also lead to an erratic idle and misfiring. There have also been cases where this engine has developed wear in the exhaust valve and valve-seat region, with similar end results. Unfortunately, the only fix is to remove the cylinder head and replace both the exhaust valves and their seats.
I agree that 52,000km is a depressingly low mileage for problems like these to occur, so you need to make absolutely sure it really is the cause before you start to tear into the engine. A leak-down and compression test may throw some light on things, as can an electronic scan of the car. A fault-code of P0300 is a big clue that the exhaust valves are at the centre of the problem. This model Barina was another Holden that was simply a re-badged South Korean-built Daewoo with all that implies.
Other Holden Barina problems
- What is causing my 2006 Holden Barina to select a gear but not move?
- Why is the steering on my 2010 Holden Barina unstable?
- Holden Barina 2000: Why does my car randomly lose momentum?
- Holden Barina: Parts not stocked in Australia
- What is the correct tyre pressure for the Holden Barina 2010?
- Holden Barina 2011: Does this car have a timing chain or belt?
- Holden Barina 2010: Rattling noise in the gearbox
- Holden Barina 2018: Leaking hot water
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch autos, what's the difference?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
12 best EVs available in Australia