Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
- Ford Ranger
- Ford Advice
- Ford Ranger Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
Asked by Freddy
Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger just cut out for no reason and then, when you switch it off and start again, it goes?. It did this 10 months ago, at which point sensors and turbo were replaced, but now it's doing it again. It's with Ford now, but they can’t find the fault, has anyone had the same problem?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2020
It sounds very much like a computer problem rather than a hardware issue. When you switch the engine off and then back on again, you’re actually rebooting the on-board computer. I’d be trying a replacement ECU module (borrowed from another Ranger) to see if that fixes the problem. The problem is that because the reboot fixes the issue (temporarily) it might also re-set the computer’s memory, meaning it can’t `remember’ what went wrong and, therefore, won’t offer up the correct fault codes when you scan it. That said, I’d definitely give it a scan and see what pops up.
Other Ford Ranger problems
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
- Why does the fifth gear pop out of my 2007 Ford Ranger when I drive on the highway?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Is the Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max or VW Amarok best for towing a 2.8 tonne caravan?
- What are the known problems for a 2016 Ford Ranger?
- Why is the engine in my 2010 Ford Ranger losing power?
- Why is my 2018 Ford Ranger making a loud crunching noise?
Most viewed in Advice
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- When to use low range in your 4x4
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
When to use low range in your 4x4