Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger cut out for no reason?
Asked by Freddy
Why does my 2015 Ford Ranger just cut out for no reason and then, when you switch it off and start again, it goes?. It did this 10 months ago, at which point sensors and turbo were replaced, but now it's doing it again. It's with Ford now, but they can’t find the fault, has anyone had the same problem?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Sep 2020
It sounds very much like a computer problem rather than a hardware issue. When you switch the engine off and then back on again, you’re actually rebooting the on-board computer. I’d be trying a replacement ECU module (borrowed from another Ranger) to see if that fixes the problem. The problem is that because the reboot fixes the issue (temporarily) it might also re-set the computer’s memory, meaning it can’t `remember’ what went wrong and, therefore, won’t offer up the correct fault codes when you scan it. That said, I’d definitely give it a scan and see what pops up.
Other Ford Ranger problems
- What is the fuel consumption of the 2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrak?
- What is causing my 2013 Ford Ranger to shudder when it downshifts?
- What could be the cause of vehicle shudder in my 2013 Ford Ranger XLT?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Can an oil cooler keep the transmission cool in my 2014 Ford Ranger?
- Is a Mazda BT-50 or Ford Ranger better for touring?
- What is causing the clutch to get stuck in my 2013 Ford Ranger?
- What is causing the automatic gearbox to clunk in my 2014 Mazda BT-50?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers