Why does my 2009 Holden Astra have trouble starting after sitting overnight?
- Holden Astra
- Holden Advice
- Holden Astra Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
- Car Servicing
Asked by Tammy
My 2005 Holden Astra has trouble starting the first time, when left sitting for anything like six hours plus. Doesn't matter if its day or night, cold or hot days, once it is started there’s no issue what so ever. I’ve been to two different mechanics and still have the same issue.
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
These cars used a fairly simply check-valve on the fuel pump to prevent fuel draining back into the tank when the car was parked. As the car ages, this valve wears to the point where it won’t maintain fuel in the lines going to the engine. If that happens, it will take some time and cranking to get fuel from the tank to the engine. This is the delay you’re experiencing.
The worn valve is only allowing a small amount of fuel to drain back which is why you need to wait six hours or so for the problem to show up. A new fuel pump will fix it.
Other Holden Astra problems
- Why is the coolant in my 2007 Holden Astra a milky colour?
- Why does my 2017 Holden Astra jerk when I put it in reverse?
- Why does the clock in my 2004 Holden Astra CD keep resetting?
- What oil should I use in my 2004 Honda Astra?
- Why does my 2020 Holden Astra have an oil leak in the transmission?
- Holden Astra GTC 2015: Why is my car coughing dark smoke?
- Holden Astra 2006: How can I fix a broken CD player in my car?
- Holden Astra 2003: Water pump and timing belt replacement
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers