Why did my 2018 Toyota Kluger jump from drive into neutral?
Asked by Francis
I have also noticed when overtaking, the gearbox seems to have a period of flare whereby it takes a long time to change back to a higher gear, this can take some time. I reported it to my local dealer but they do not want to know. What can I do here?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2021
We haven’t heard of the Kluger jumping out of gear as a common problem, but it’s definitely one you need a mechanic to look at as there’s an obvious safety implication if you lose drive at a critical moment. The 'flaring' could simply be the behaviour that’s been programmed into the vehicle at the factory. The idea is that when you start to use large throttle inputs (say, when overtaking) the vehicle interprets that as you driving on a winding, uphill road. So, to keep the engine making lots of power, it holds on to a lower gear than seems normal. And that’s what you’re feeling when the revs stay high beyond your overtaking move. Try adjusting the car’s mode from Sport to Normal or even Economy, at which point the transmission should become a little less frenetic.
The good news is that, if there’s something wrong, your car should still be covered by Toyota’s factory warranty (which was three-years/100,000km when your car was bought new) so make it Toyota’s problem. If you’re not happy with your dealer, talk to Toyota Australia’s customer service department.
Other Toyota Kluger problems
- Which Toyota Kluger models have a GPS?
- Will an engine replacement change the value of my Toyota Kluger 2019?
- Why does my 2019 Toyota Kluger use so much oil?
- Does the 2004 Toyota Kluger Grande have a timing chain or belt?
- What mid-size SUV has the power to tow a small caravan?
- Toyota Kluger 2019: Why are my seats making so much noise?
- Toyota Kluger 2015: Does it have inbuilt GPS?
- What SUV should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Australia's Top 6 Pop Top Camper Trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Australia's Top 6 Pop Top Camper Trailers