Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Toyota HiLux
- Nissan Navara
- Toyota HiLux 2010
- Nissan Navara 2012
- Nissan Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota HiLux Reviews
- Nissan Navara Reviews
- Nissan Ute Range
- Toyota Ute Range
Asked by Ryan
I’m looking to buy a 4x4 Dual Cab Ute, and I’ve narrowed my options down to two cars – a 2010 Toyota HiLux SR5 and 2012 Nissan Navara ST-R D22. I realise the HiLux has more power, a bigger engine, cruise control etc, but it’s done 275,000km, whereas the Navara has only done 30,000km. Is it worth the Hilux’s better specs/features, or should the amount of kilometres influence my decision? Keep in mind I’ll only own this car for two years, before passing it on to my son. My son’s also into four-wheel-driving, so will that also make a difference?
Answered by CarsGuide26 Oct 2020
The very fact that you’re looking at two vehicles that fit into your budget but have travelled such vastly different distances should tell you all you need to know about the Nissan. Frankly, the Navara D22 and D40 don’t age well. In fact, many owners have found out the hard way that a Navara just can’t match the Toyota HiLux of this vintage for longevity and the ability to cop punishment over time.
I’m certainly not saying that the HiLux was perfect, but compared with the Navara’s litany of faults and problems that covered everything from rattling timing chains to coolant leaks and odd design elements such as the bottom of the radiator being lower than the lowest part of the chassis cross-member (not good for off-road work) the Toyota was much better. Granted the Navara you’re considering has very low mileage, so it should be okay for a while…just about till you hand it over to your son to break.
Other Toyota HiLux problems
- Which five-speed gearbox models are compatible with my Toyota Hilux's 2Y engine?
- What's the better buy, Pajero Sport Exceed or Toyota Fortuner Crusade?
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- Has Toyota rectified the diesel DPF issues for their 2021 vehicles?
- Datsun 720 ute - Were they better than the HiLux?
- Will Toyota make a 3.3 litre diesel V6 engine in the Fortuner?
- When is the 2021 Toyota HiLux SR5+ being released?
- What is the fuel consumption for a 1999 Toyota Hilux?