What would the battery warranty be like on a used Toyota Corolla?
Asked by Gabi
I want to lease/buy a used (two to three-year-old) Toyota Corolla Hybrid. What would the battery warranty be like and how much would it cost to replace the battery pack?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jan 2020
Because you’re looking at a car built before January 1 2019, the vehicle won’t carry Toyota’s current, upgraded five-year factory warranty. Instead, you’ll get what’s left of the three-year/100,000km factory warranty. In the case of a hybrid Toyota, that also includes eight years and 160,000km worth of cover for the batteries, so if the car you buy is just two or three years old, you’ll have anything up to six years of warranty on the battery-pack. That’s a pretty good deal.
The catch is that the car you buy must have a full service record that shows it has not been neglected in any way. If the service record has gaps in it, Toyota has the right to cancel the warranty on that particular vehicle.
Modern hybrids are clever in that when a battery cell fails, only the dud cell (rather than the whole battery-pack) needs to be replaced. Our experience, too, in this department is that Toyota hybrids are hitting wrecking yards (thanks to crashes) faster than they’re wearing out their battery-packs. That means there’s a decent supply of second-hand batteries with lots of life left in them at reasonable prices. One quote for a second-hand Prius battery-pack was between $1500 and $2000 from a wrecking yard.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- How do I find a reputable mechanic in my area?
- What used hybrid should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers