What would the battery warranty be like on a used Toyota Corolla?
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Corolla 2017
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Corolla Reviews
- Toyota Hatchback Range
Asked by Gabi
I want to lease/buy a used (two to three-year-old) Toyota Corolla Hybrid. What would the battery warranty be like and how much would it cost to replace the battery pack?
Answered by CarsGuide4 Jan 2020
Because you’re looking at a car built before January 1 2019, the vehicle won’t carry Toyota’s current, upgraded five-year factory warranty. Instead, you’ll get what’s left of the three-year/100,000km factory warranty. In the case of a hybrid Toyota, that also includes eight years and 160,000km worth of cover for the batteries, so if the car you buy is just two or three years old, you’ll have anything up to six years of warranty on the battery-pack. That’s a pretty good deal.
The catch is that the car you buy must have a full service record that shows it has not been neglected in any way. If the service record has gaps in it, Toyota has the right to cancel the warranty on that particular vehicle.
Modern hybrids are clever in that when a battery cell fails, only the dud cell (rather than the whole battery-pack) needs to be replaced. Our experience, too, in this department is that Toyota hybrids are hitting wrecking yards (thanks to crashes) faster than they’re wearing out their battery-packs. That means there’s a decent supply of second-hand batteries with lots of life left in them at reasonable prices. One quote for a second-hand Prius battery-pack was between $1500 and $2000 from a wrecking yard.
Other Toyota Corolla problems
- Does the Toyota Corolla have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto?
- Is the 2021 Toyota Corolla air conditioning system reliable?
- What is the weight carrying capacity of the roof of a 2020 Toyota Corolla?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- Do the Toyota Corolla hybrid tyre repair kits actually work?
- How to replace the key battery for a 2012 Toyota Corolla?
- Does the 2012 Toyota Corolla have a timing chain or timing belt?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?