What is the best small-medium SUV to buy used for under $15k
- Toyota RAV4
- Toyota RAV4 2013
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota RAV4 Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Liz
I previously had a 1998 RAV4 which I loved driving but it was very thirsty. I don't really need 4WD anymore (city dweller) but would like something of similar size, but more economical and ideally not too expensive to service. What's your best bet, ideally around the $10-12k mark?
Answered by CarsGuide24 Mar 2021
If you liked the RAV4, then a newer, more modern RAV 4 should be on your shopping list. Your budget gets you into a RAV 4 from, say 2012 or 2013, and these were, in fact, available in two-wheel-drive (since you no longer need all-wheel-drive).
The march of technology means that the RAV 4 used less fuel with every generation, so it’s worth comparing your car’s fuel economy with the later version. While early versions of the RAV 4 (like the own you once owned) would have trouble beating 10 litres per 100km, the more modern RAV 4 from 2013 will easily consume less than eight litres per 100km over the same distance. If you drive carefully, that difference could be even greater. Don’t confuse the continuation of a badge with the stagnation of technology.
Other Toyota RAV4 problems
- Why isn't the stop-start engine function working in on my 2021 Toyota RAV4?
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- Can the hybrid Toyota RAV4 support a 70kg roof top tent?
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?