What is causing my 2001 Ford AU Falcon ute to miss?
- Ford Falcon
- Ford Advice
- Ford Falcon Reviews
- Ford Commercial Range
- Ford Ute Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Paul
I have a 2001 AU Falcon ute. It's a 4.0-litre single cam and it's got a miss. It seems to be cylinder number six. I changed the plugs, but within 500km the miss has returned a few times. Is it the ceramic part of the plug cracked, or is the spark-plug fouling? Any thoughts? Also, can this car run on e10?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
A miss is fairly common on these engines and is usually tracked back to either a dud spark-plug or a crook ignition lead. If you’ve already changed the plugs, I’d suggest checking the ignition leads for excessive resistance. The other major source of misses in these engines is usually a fault with the coil-packs. Swapping these for another set is a pretty easy way to check whether they’re the culprits. Don’t forget, however, that a miss can also be fuel or mechanical-related, but experience with these engines shows that the ignition system is often the cause.
According to government websites, the 2001 Falcon six-cylinder can, indeed, use E10 fuel. You may find, however, that you use a little more E10 over 100km than normal unleaded, so the savings at the pump might not be as marked as they seem on paper.
Other Ford Falcon problems
- Why does my 2002 Ford Falcon idle irregularly and have a delayed throttle response?
- What oil can I use instead of Ford Engine Oil?
- Ford Falcon 2003: Leaking coolant and replacing remote locking
- Ford Falcon 2002: Why does the engine keep cutting out?
- Ford Falcon: Can I use premium unleaded fuel?
- Ford Falcon 2010: Is semi-synthetic oil appropriate for my car?
- What is the best tow vehicle to buy?
- Ford Falcon 2009: Are there issues with the timing chain?
Most viewed in Advice
- Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The top five fastest electric cars in the...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Who builds batteries for electric cars? EV battery manufacturers explained
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The top five fastest electric cars in the world
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?