What is causing my 2001 Ford AU Falcon ute to miss?
Asked by Paul
I have a 2001 AU Falcon ute. It's a 4.0-litre single cam and it's got a miss. It seems to be cylinder number six. I changed the plugs, but within 500km the miss has returned a few times. Is it the ceramic part of the plug cracked, or is the spark-plug fouling? Any thoughts? Also, can this car run on e10?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2020
A miss is fairly common on these engines and is usually tracked back to either a dud spark-plug or a crook ignition lead. If you’ve already changed the plugs, I’d suggest checking the ignition leads for excessive resistance. The other major source of misses in these engines is usually a fault with the coil-packs. Swapping these for another set is a pretty easy way to check whether they’re the culprits. Don’t forget, however, that a miss can also be fuel or mechanical-related, but experience with these engines shows that the ignition system is often the cause.
According to government websites, the 2001 Falcon six-cylinder can, indeed, use E10 fuel. You may find, however, that you use a little more E10 over 100km than normal unleaded, so the savings at the pump might not be as marked as they seem on paper.
Other Ford Falcon problems
- How much should it cost to replace the headliner in my Ford BA Falcon?
- How can I change driveshaft centre bearing on a 2004 BA Falcon?
- Will I still be able to buy LPG gas in the future?
- What is the best type of oil to use in a 2009 Ford Falcon XR6T?
- Why does my 2002 Ford Falcon idle irregularly and have a delayed throttle response?
- What oil can I use instead of Ford Engine Oil?
- Ford Falcon 2003: Leaking coolant and replacing remote locking
- Ford Falcon 2002: Why does the engine keep cutting out?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Why your ultimate outback adventure vehicle...
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Why your ultimate outback adventure vehicle is not an EV, yet | Opinion
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing