What are the safety issues of the 2011 Mazda 3?
Asked by Adam
My 2011 Mazda 3 has a serious safety issue; an intermittent problem with power steering failure. Mazda says there is no issue but I understand this is a common problem for the Mazda 3 of this era. Do you have any suggestions?
Answered by CarsGuide3 Sep 2021
Mazda 3s have a pretty terrible record with power-steering faults. Some cars built between 2007 and 2008 were actually part of a nationwide Technical Service Program by Mazda to fix a problem that could leave you suddenly without power assistance for the steering. The program was not a recall as Mazda argued that even if the assistance failed, you’d still be able to steer the car, albeit with much greater input from the driver.
Mazda reckoned that cars outside those build dates weren’t affected, but yours is not the first later-model 3 I’ve heard of that has suffered similar problems. From what I can gather, the power steering assistance in your car uses a conventional hydraulic rack but instead of the assistance pump being driven by the engine (via a belt) it’s driven by an electric motor. So here’s my question: Do you notice any other symptoms when the assistance fails?
Any warning light on the dashboard or the radio cutting in or out are symptoms that other owners have mentioned at the same time as the steering has lost its assistance. Scanning the car electronically might throw up a few answers, but the instinct of many mechanics is that the problem is potentially as simple as a poor earth connection. A bad earth can occur in lots of places on a modern car and can create havoc with the car’s electrical systems (of which the power-steering on your car is one). Sometimes it can be as simple as a loose battery terminal, other times you might have to search for the bad earth. But that’s where I’d start looking.
Other Mazda 3 problems
- Are we going to see the new Mazda 3 turbo AWD in Australia?
- Can you advise whether the Mazda 3 has a timing belt or a timing chain?
- What should I replace my 2015 Mazda 3 Maxx Hatch with?
- Mazda 4 - A bigger hatchback than the 3?
- Mazda MX3 - What ever happened to the Eunos 30X?
- Mazda 9 - Will we ever see a successor to the 929?
- Which is better: 2014 Mazda 3 Astina or 2016 Mazda 3 SP25?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers