Well-Travelled Budget Car
- Mazda 323
- Mazda 323 2000
- Mazda Advice
- Mazda 323 Reviews
- Mazda Hatchback Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Andrew Nolen
I HAVE about $5000 to buy my first car, and I've found a 2000 Mazda 323 Astina 1.6-litre manual hatch, which is within my budget. It has 252,913km on the clock. What are the issues associated with buying a car with high ks?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Sep 2009
YOU'RE right to be concerned because the higher the mileage the greater the chances of major problems. Your car has done almost twice the average ks for a car of its age, so you need to be wary. The Mazda 323 is generally a robust and reliable car and I wouldn't be concerned if it had the average 150,000km or so. Make sure it has been serviced by the book, with regular oil and filter changes, and it should have had two cam belt changes by now. When you start the engine listen for any rattling, and watch for smoke from the exhaust. When you drive make sure the gears engage smoothly without any baulking, and that there are no noises from the gearbox. If you're not sure have a trusted mechanic check it, or the RACV if you don't have anyone you feel you can trust.
Other Mazda 323 problems
- How do I put fuel in my Mazda 323?
- How much should it cost to fix a 2000 Mazda 323 pick up issue?
- Should I scrap my '87 Mazda 323
- Does Mazda 323 use E10 fuel?
- Mazda 323 SP20 acceleration problem
- Replacing Astina with Mazda 2?
- 323 ignition coils
- Ask Smithy Xtra Mazda Familiar Interplay transmission
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- The ultimate guide to dual-battery systems
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mazda
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
When to use low range in your 4x4
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
The ultimate guide to dual-battery systems