Volkswagen Tiguan 2017: Is it suitable for Australian roads?
- Volkswagen Tiguan
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2017
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Tiguan Reviews
- Volkswagen SUV Range
Asked by Micheal
Is the latest VW Tiguan suitable for Australian roads? I have the 162TSI Highline with the optional R Line package, which is great to drive, but I do have a major concern. Having travelled only hundreds of kilometres on unsealed roads I noticed an area of the trim near the rear wheel was discoloured and quite ‘pitted’ on both sides of the vehicle. To be clear the damage is visible while standing next to the car, you don’t have to be looking under the wheel arches or have the car on a hoist. A report from a dealer has the comment ‘customer advised he was on unsealed roads’. Yes that is true, it is an AWD with two dedicated off-road modes. My previous cars and the others never showed damage such as this. They also travelled thousands of kilometres more than this one on the same road types. The unsealed roads I traverse are public and suitable for all vehicle types. They are typical of many urban roads in NSW. After contacting VW Australia and asking what type of road surfaces I should avoid I was told they were not in a position to advise. Interestingly they also stated the damage was ‘not due to a manufacturing concern’. Given there are many roads in NSW with unsealed roads I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Dec 2017
It’s not something that has come to our attention. It’s a cosmetic issue; one I’m guessing VW is not going to be terribly interested in.
Other Volkswagen Tiguan problems
- Why do I get an error message when I connect the nav in my 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan?
- Why does my 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan need so many repairs?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2012: Do I need to get the diesel injectors serviced?
- Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace 2020: Should I wait for the facelifted version?
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2017: Bubbling effect on the rear tailgate
- Volkswagen Tiguan: Any known problems?
- Volkswagen Tiguan 2009: Are there any common issues?
Most viewed in Advice
- Everything you need to know about EV motors
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Buying a car Interstate: how to purchase a...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Everything you need to know about EV motors
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Buying a car Interstate: how to purchase a vehicle from another state?