Volkswagen Polo 2013: Going into limp mode
- Volkswagen Golf
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Golf Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Mark
My 2013 VW Polo GTI went into limp mode recently so I nursed it to the nearest service station. The call out mechanic managed to diagnose an issue with the supercharger clutch. He advised that the supercharger is a sealed unit and that the fault related more to a manufacture fault rather than a running fault. Once towed to the local VW service centre they have stated it is the water pump that needs replacing and there is an interface between this and the supercharger clutch (hence the initial diagnostics). We have applied for the VW Good Will application, but have a feeling they will wriggle as much as possible. Would we have a case to claim against the water pump, or is this normal maintenance for the car?
Answered by CarsGuide16 Aug 2019
If it is the water pump as the VW people have diagnosed then I doubt you would have any claim. Water pumps do wear out like any mechanical component, and yours is six years old.
Other Volkswagen Golf problems
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- Volkswagen Golf 2013: A reliable replacement car
- What's the resale value of a Volkswagen Golf and a Toyota Corolla?
- Volkswagen Golf 2016 or Hyundai i30 2018: Are they reliable?
- Volkswagen Golf 2019: Should I buy an Alltrack?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Is it illegal to drive with the interior...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Is it illegal to drive with the interior lights on?
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list