Toyota Prado 2010: Overheating
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2010
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Mal
I read with interest about gearbox overheating problems in Toyota utes and wonder if this also applies to the latest Prado with the same D4-D engine. I towed a 20-foot caravan to Qld and back over a period of three months with my 2010 Prado GX. Whilst going up the Adelaide Hills the gearbox overheat warning light came on much to my consternation, however as we were nearly to the top we carried on and once over it went off. There were no serious hills to negotiate until we came to the horrendous climb on the road between Batemans Bay and Canberra in NSW. The light came on again and I was forced to stop four times in some fairly precarious places to let the gearbox cool down. When we finally made Canberra we went straight to the Toyota dealer who advised that they knew about the problem and it was fixed by a re-programming of the gearbox computer. We had no further problems for the rest of the trip, but I must admit to being a bit skeptical about the computer fix and would like to know if any other complaints of this nature have surfaced. As we are considering another trip would it be prudent to put an oil-cooler on the gearbox. I hasten to add the loaded weight of the van was 2350 kg and under the 2500 kg limit Toyota advertised. Apart from this glitch, the vehicle performed brilliantly.
Answered by CarsGuide18 Jun 2012
Your experience is not uncommon. We had a number of reports from Hilux owners in the year of so after the ute was launched, but we thought the reprogramming of the computer had fixed the issue. Perhaps it hasn't. Talk to your Toyota dealer, and also get the advice of an auto transmission expert about fitting an external oil cooler. If you plan to travel over hilly terrain on your next trip it would be a good idea to fit an extra cooler.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser Prado problems
- The paint on my 2007 Toyota Prado is peeling off, what should I do?
- Can I replace the master cylinder on my 2000 Toyota Prado with a second-hand one?
- Why is the media screen on my 2015 Toyota LandCruiser Prado now in Japanese?
- How much is my 2011 Toyota Landcruiser Prado worth?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Toyota LandCruiser Prado: What's the difference between the 2018 and 2019 GXL models?
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2013: Radio problems
- 2014 LandCruiser Prado: Wobble in steering wheel.
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
When to use low range in your 4x4
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
12 best EVs available in Australia
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?