Toyota Camry 2013: Gearbox whine
- Toyota RAV4
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota RAV4 2013
- Toyota Camry 2013
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota RAV4 Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Phil Charlton
I noticed in your column recently that someone complained of a whine in the gearbox of their Toyota RAV4 and it made me wonder if the new Camry had the same gearbox, as my new Camry has a whine or a very low growl between 1900 and 2000 rpm. You can`t hear it before the 1900 rpm or after 2000 rpm. The dealer could not work out what it was and said to leave it till it had done a few more kays. In the meantime I took it to another dealer and they loosened the engine mounts and let it sit for a while, which seemed to improve it a little, but it is still there. Have you had any other reports on this and could it be the gearbox? Both dealers have heard the noise, but I don't think they really know what the problem is. Have you heard of this problem?
Answered by CarsGuide18 Oct 2013
Final drive gear whine is something many owners complain about in Toyotas. It's usually a result of the gear cutting process and there is not much you can do about it, except replace the gears. You could try different gear oil, which might make it a little quieter.
Other Toyota RAV4 problems
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- Can the hybrid Toyota RAV4 support a 70kg roof top tent?
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
- Should I buy a plug-in hybrid or an electric car?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5?
- What used hybrid should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Best small cars under $20,000