Suzuki Swift 2012: Transmission "slipping" when going up hills
- Suzuki Swift
- Suzuki Swift 2012
- Suzuki Advice
- Suzuki Swift Reviews
- Suzuki Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Jodi
My wife's 2012 FZ Suzuki Swift Sport's transmission reacts like it's “slipping” from time to time and when going up hills it experiences high revving. Sometimes when in motion, taking the foot off the pedal allows the automatic gears to change when pressure on the accelerator is applied again. It sounds like it's electronic. It has low kilometres for its age and has only seen city/urban driving. Can you confirm what the problem might be and if this is a common problem with the auto/manual gearbox by Suzuki?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2020
While the less sporty versions of Suzuki’s Swift of this era used a conventional automatic transmission, the Swift Sport used a CVT transmission. And I’m wondering if maybe that’s all there is to your question. The CVT is quite capable of feeling like its slipping when you use lots of throttle, such as when going up a hill or accelerating to overtake. It’s actually quite normal and is the method a CVT uses to maximise fuel-economy by keeping the engine operating in its most efficient zone.
But if you’ve owned the car for some time and its behaviour has changed, then it could be that the CVT is beginning to wear internally. Or perhaps it’s the torque-converter (that links the engine to the transmission) that is starting to wear out and allowing the engine to rev harder than it used to for a given road speed.
Suzuki did recall this model (and conventional automatic versions) to check for loose bolts that secured the torque converter to the transmission. But if these became loose and fell out, you’d have no drive at all, so I don’t think that’s the problem here.
Other Suzuki Swift problems
- Why does my 2012 Suzuki Swift struggle going up hills?
- Why has my 2009 Suzuki Swift lost power?
- Suzuki Swift Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Suzuki Swift?
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What is the best small car for under $30000?
- Suzuki Swift 2008: Can it run on E10 (94) fuel?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Why is my car making noise?
- Suzuki Swift 2005: Loud noise while driving
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
- The future of electric cars: When will...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Suzuki
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Tesla Cybertruck: Everything we know
The future of electric cars: When will electric cars take over in Australia?
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000