Slow speedo on Subaru Impreza
- Subaru Impreza
- Subaru Impreza 2010
- Subaru Advice
- Subaru Impreza Reviews
- Subaru Sedan Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Allan Cowin
When my daughter compares the speedo in her new Subaru Impreza to her GPS, which we know to be accurate, the Subaru is reading 8 km/h slow. She has checked it against the highway speed checkers and got the same result, so she has endured 900 km of road rage with everyone beeping her or overtaking her on blind corners etc. with a few near misses before reaching the Hume. Subaru told here it's the Government's fault, that the ADRs are causing her problem and that it's illegal to fix it. Maybe she should have bought a car that complies with the same ADRs and is within one to two km/h of the real speed, like Ford or Holden. So much for Japanese precision!
Answered by CarsGuide23 Dec 2010
The ADR demands that speedos not read slower than the actual speed of the car, but they are allowed to read up to 10 per cent faster. Your daughter's car falls within that tolerance, which makes it legal. She now knows how far out the speedo is, so she can adjust the speed she drives at accordingly.
Other Subaru Impreza problems
- What small all-wheel drive hatchback should I buy?
- Subaru Impreza 2008: Good price range
- What car should I buy?
- Subaru Impreza 2017: What's a good replacement?
- What is the cheapest Subaru?
- Subaru Impreza 2011: Fitting out exhaust, custom lights and body kit
- Subaru Impreza 2010: Can the RS fit a Holden LS1 engine?
- Subaru Impreza 2017: Window suddenly shattered
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Subaru
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?