Should I buy a Toyota RAV4, Kia Sportage or Mazda CX-5?
- Mazda CX-5
- Kia Sportage
- Toyota RAV4
- Kia Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Mazda CX-5 Reviews
- Kia Sportage Reviews
- Toyota RAV4 Reviews
- Kia SUV Range
- Mazda SUV Range
- Toyota SUV Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Ken
Considering a 2020 RAV4 GXL, 2.0 petrol, two-wheel-drive automatic. Most reviews seem to be for Hybrid versions. How does the 2.0 petrol CVT auto stack up? Also considering Kia Sportage Sport Plus 2.0 petrol, auto. Your thoughts? Leaning towards RAV4 for big boot (to carry lawn mower, whipper snipper, blower and soon to be baby stroller and equipment). I think Mazda CX-5 is an older version now and ageing a bit, what are your thoughts?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2020
The RAV4 in its current guise is the best the model has ever been. Of course, that’s exactly how it should be, but some car-makers don’t always crack the newer-is-better code. You’re right about the new RAV4 Hybrid being the headline grabber, but that’s because it’s the big change in the RAV4 formula and the one that is likely to attract the most new customers to the franchise. There’s nothing wrong with the two-litre CVT RAV4 per se, but you might find the performance of the smaller petrol engine a bit on the weedy side, especially with a full load of bodies and luggage on board. And, as with any CVT car, the advice is to drive it before you decide, and make sure you don’t find the CVT’s behaviour too foreign. Some people do, others never notice it.
The Kia Sportage Sport is another good package but suffers the same lacklustre engine performance issue in two-litre petrol form. It does, though, have a conventional six-speed automatic transmission rather than a CVT. And while the Sportage was facelifted in 2018, its basic design goes back to 2015. Which, in fact, makes it an older design than the Mazda CX-5 which was first launched here in 2017. Any of the three vehicles you’ve nominated will do the job but history suggests the Toyota will hold more resale value when trade-in time rolls around. And congratulations on the new addition to the family.
Other Toyota RAV4 problems
- Will the plug-in hybrid Toyota RAV4 become available in Australia?
- Why isn't the stop-start engine function working in on my 2021 Toyota RAV4?
- What is the best small-medium SUV to buy used for under $15k
- Is a 4WD necessary for travelling through regional Queensland?
- Can the hybrid Toyota RAV4 support a 70kg roof top tent?
- What wagon should I buy for less than $35000?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- Should I buy a Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia