Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Kia Sorento
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Hyundai Advice
- Kia Advice
- Kia Sorento Reviews
- Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Kia SUV Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Nor
What's the main problem for the Kia Sorento 2.4 2013 to 2017? Is it Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017 got a same problem? Please advise which one is better to buy. Also, is it better to buy a petrol or diesel engine?
Answered by CarsGuide2 Sep 2020
Hi Nor, the Kia Sorento is generally reliable and robust, with only a few electrical problems being the main issues, but most should have been sorted out by now. As the Sorento is closely related to the Hyundai Santa Fe, the same would apply to that SUV too.
The 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine you mention was only available in the UM model from 2009 to 2011. After that a 3.5-litre V6 took over. Both engines are known to be robust and dependable. We'd go for the V6 because it does not have to work as hard as the 2.4L hauling such a big and heavy vehicle around. Note, though, that the V6 is thirsty.
The diesel is the best choice out of all of the engines available, as it is strong and hard-wearing as well as much more economical.
In our opinion, the Sorento is a better buy than the Santa Fe, since it has more glass area and so is easier to see out of. The interior is pleasant, comfortable and easy to use. And, from the XM model launched in 2015, it is a nicer and quieter car to drive.
Finally, the Kia has offered a seven-year warranty as opposed to the Hyundai's five-year warranty since October 1, 2014, meaning it is possible to buy an older Sorento and still be covered by the factory warranty.
Other Kia Sorento problems
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Kia Sorento 2016: Transmission downshifting
- Does the Holden Acadia 2019 have enough space for three baby seats?
- What's the best car for towing a van?
- Kia Sorento 2017: Broken audio system
- Toyota Kluger and Kia Sorento: Which is the best family seven seater?
- Toyota Kluger: What SUV would have less cabin noise?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Fuel efficiency explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Fuel efficiency explained