Sedan with good storage space and suspension?
- Hyundai i30
- Toyota Camry
- Nissan Pulsar
- Hyundai Elantra
- Toyota Camry 2004
- Hyundai I30 2016
- Nissan Pulsar 2016
- Hyundai Elantra 2015
- Hyundai Advice
- Nissan Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Hyundai i30 Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Nissan Pulsar Reviews
- Hyundai Elantra Reviews
- Hyundai Hatchback Range
- Hyundai Sedan Range
- Nissan Hatchback Range
- Nissan Sedan Range
- Toyota Hatchback Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Family Cars
- Buying tips
Asked by Keith Smith
This year we were looking to replace our 2004 Toyota Camry and, because of favourable recommendations, yours including, we decided on a Hyundai i30. We found it had insufficient boot space to easily load and unload my wife's mother's wheelchair so then selected and bought a 2015 new Elantra SE. We now consider it's the worst riding car we have ever experienced and driving is no longer a pleasure. We have considered trading it in on a better car, possibly a Toyota Corolla, but we would immediately lose around $6,000. I have complained to the dealer who at all times has been helpful and they arranged for a drive in another Elantra and an i30 hatchback on a suburban bumpy road and we found the suspension to be no better than ours – rigid and shattering. I am writing to you to gain an understanding of your specific method of rating a car and whether you actually test drive them on suburban bumpy roads. Driver comfort including suspension and ride on all types of sealed roads in my opinion must be of the highest consideration.
Answered by CarsGuide18 Jan 2016
We test all cars in the real world, on the toughest corners and worst surfaces we can find, and I've been doing the job for nearly 40 years. Hyundai has focussed its suspension work on European-style handling, not a cushy American-style ride, but that's no different from many other brands. For your needs I would probably have steered you to a Nissan Pulsar, but also advised not to buy anything without a proper test drive on road you know.
Other Toyota Camry problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2017 Toyota Aurion?
- What car should I buy for $5,000?
- Should I buy an electric car now or later?
- Which pre-2010 Toyota Aurion model year is best?
- What is the recommended height and weight of a driver for a 2010 Toyota RAV4?
- What car should I buy?
- Toyota Camry 2012: Can I mix fully synthetic and semi synthetic oils?
- Toyota Camry: Can I exchange the space saver for a full size spare?
Most viewed in Advice
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Toyota
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Good first cars: 10 Best first cars for Australian drivers