Nissan Navara: Faulty battery
Asked by Paul Whiteman
The battery in my Nissan Navara died two weeks short of 12 months after I bought the car. Roadside assist tested the battery and said it was faulty and needed to be replaced. I tried in vain to tell my Nissan dealer about the battery, but they just kept fobbing me off, saying there was nothing wrong with it. The battery failed again, and again roadside assist came to the rescue, same result, the battery was faulty. I left for the USA the next day, returning three weeks later. When I returned to the dealer they accepted the battery was faulty, but refused to honour the warranty on it, as it had expired. As a first time Nissan buyer, rest assured it will be my last. As they won't honour the warranty on a battery, I think I'll be in trouble if something serious goes wrong.
Answered by CarsGuide10 Jan 2014
That's a tricky one. Nissan's warranty doesn't cover the battery because it's regarded as a consumable, but the battery itself is covered by a warranty issued by its manufacturer. So, who's responsible when the battery is faulty? I would suggest it's Nissan in the first instance because they sold you the vehicle, the battery maker next as they produced it. Nissan should have replaced the battery and got their money back from the battery maker instead of putting the responsibility back on you as the customer.
Other Nissan Navara problems
- Does the 2010 Nissan Navara have a timing belt or chain?
- Why has my 2011 Nissan Navara lost most of its engine power?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Nissan Navara 2010: Why is the engine light coming on?
- Nissan Navara 2019: Accelerator failure code
- Nissan Navara 2011: Why does it go into limp mode?
- Nissan Navara 2008: Where is the device for opening the bonnet?
Most viewed in Advice
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?