Nissan Navara 2007: Fuel injector reliability
Asked by Sam Stead
I am looking at buying a 2007 Nissan Navara STX 2.5-litre 4-cylinder from a private seller. It has done approx. 150,000 km and appears to have been well looked after with service history etc., but I am concerned about the fuel-injectors, as I have been told they are prone to go around the 150,000 km stage. Is there something I should look for that might indicate that there maybe a problem? It has also been fitted with a diesel chip and when the revs are between 1000 and 2000 rpm it makes a ticking noise. Could this be because of the chip?
Answered by CarsGuide13 Jun 2014
Injector wear is a problem with all common-rail diesels, not just the Nissan. You should be able observe rough running, perhaps black smoke from the exhaust, and high fuel consumption. The chip won't be causing your ticking noise; that will be a mechanical noise. You need to determine where the noise is coming from to be able to locate the cause. One thing I would be looking at the camshaft timing chain, they wear and sometimes break on the Navara, and that's one possible source of your ticking noise.
Other Nissan Navara problems
- Does a 2011 Nissan Navara Turbo have a timing belt or chain warning light?
- How do I take my Nissan Navara out of limp mode?
- How much will it cost to replace the clutch in my 2008 Nissan Navara?
- Does the 2010 Nissan Navara have a timing belt or chain?
- Why has my 2011 Nissan Navara lost most of its engine power?
- Which 4x4 Dual Cab ute should I buy?
- Is the 2007 Nissan Navara a good choice?
- Nissan Navara 2010: Why is the engine light coming on?
Most viewed in Advice
- Cars that start with E
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Cars that start with G
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with N
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Cars that start with D
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Cars that start with E
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Cars that start with G
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with N
Best small cars under $20,000
Cars that start with D