My 2002 Nissan X-Trail 2002 is struggling to change gears
- Nissan X-Trail
- Nissan X-Trail 2002
- Nissan Advice
- Nissan X-Trail Reviews
- Nissan Commercial Range
- Nissan Ute Range
Asked by Daniel
I have a Nissan X-Trail 2002 model that is not clutching fully and I struggle to change gears. What should I do?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2021
You could be right in presuming that the clutch is not fully disengaging as this will definitely cause gear-selection problems. If the clutch is worn or has broken components inside, then it can be impossible to make it fully disengage, and choosing gears – particularly from a standing start – can be difficult if not impossible. At that point, presuming the clutch is adjusted properly (and your car uses hydraulic clutch actuation, so there’s not really any adjustment in it) a replacement clutch is the only real fix.
But don’t rule out a problem with the mechanism that actually selects the gears and links the gear-shifter to the gearbox proper. In some cars this is a cable, in others it’s a set of linkages, but either set-up can become maladjusted and cause shifting problems.
Other Nissan X-Trail problems
- How can I fix a faulty clock spring in a 2012 Nissan X-Trail?
- Nissan X-Trail diesel problems
- Does the Nissan X-Trail 2019 come in 1.6 diesel with an automatic gearbox?
- Why is my 2012 Nissan X-Trail using a lot of oil?
- What caused my 2006 Nissan X-Trail to overheat and lose compression?
- What is the best family SUV for around $20000?
- What model X-Trail or Forester should I buy for less than $19000
- Why do I have to pump the clutch in my 2003 Nissan X-Trail?
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Best five utes for towing
- Do electric cars actually save you money?
- The ultimate accessories for your Mitsubishi...
- Selling your car privately or to a dealer
- Capped price servicing explained
- 70 Series LandCruiser: Your guide to the...
- Best large family SUVs for boot space
- Cars that start with X
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Nissan
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Best five utes for towing
Do electric cars actually save you money?
The ultimate accessories for your Mitsubishi Triton
Selling your car privately or to a dealer
Capped price servicing explained
70 Series LandCruiser: Your guide to the Toyota 4WD
Best large family SUVs for boot space
Cars that start with X