ML 320, ML 350 or Jeep Grand Cherokee for towing a boat?
- Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Mercedes-Benz M-Class
- Mercedes-Benz ML 320
- Mercedes-Benz ML 350
- Mercedes-Benz M-Class 2009
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014
- Mercedes-Benz M-Class 2014
- Mercedes-Benz ML320 2009
- Mercedes-Benz ML350 2014
- Jeep Advice
- Mercedes-Benz Advice
- Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz M-Class Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz ML 320 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz ML 350 Reviews
- Jeep SUV Range
- Mercedes-Benz SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Peter Mazzucato
I am considering buying a 4WD for country trips and towing a 17-foot boat weighing about 1600 kg. I wouldn't do any serious off-roading. I am considering a Mercedes ML 320 or 350, as they seem to be reasonably priced when compared to a similar age Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Just wondering how they compare regarding maintenance and running cost?
My big concern in that Mercedes cost a lot to maintain, particularly if you require mechanical repairs.
We would plan to keep it for at least five years. Which do you think would be better value?
Answered by CarsGuide29 Jul 2016
As you say Mercedes generally cost more to service and repair, particularly if you have a dealer do the work.
They're not as expensive if you use an independent Mercedes specialist, and there are plenty around who can do that for you. They not only charge less for their labour, they usually have access to cheaper parts. Most of those parts are full factory parts, just sourced from overseas, instead of locally, so you don't miss out on quality or reliability by using them.
Jeep owners generally swear by the cars, but they have had issues over the years that should make you wary about signing on to the brand.
There's not much to split them, perhaps I would prefer the 'Benz.
Other Jeep Grand Cherokee problems
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015: Blown automatic transmission.
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 1996: Where can I buy a front tailshaft?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Does the Jeep Grand Cherokee have product quality issues?
- Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 2015 reliable?
- What towing vehicle should I buy?
- What's the best car for towing a van?
- Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013: Warranty issues
Most viewed in Advice
- Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know...
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Jeep
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Michael Schumacher: 14 things you didn't know about the seven-time F1 drivers champion
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia