Mitsubish Triton 2008: Airbag clock spring
- Mitsubishi Triton
- Mitsubishi Triton 2008
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Triton Reviews
- Mitsubishi Commercial Range
- Mitsubishi Ute Range
Asked by Geoff Vernon
At 60,000km my 2008 Mitsubishi Triton diesel had its manifolds replaced under warranty due to carbon build-up caused by our poor quality diesel fuel. Just before 135,000km and only a month or two outside the 5-year part of its 5/10 warranty, the engine started surging and hunting at low revs, so I booked it in for its service. A day later the airbag warning light came on as well, so I added that to the list for the dealer to take care of. Over $2100 later, I had one “suction control valve” replaced, one "airbag clock spring" replaced, and a 135,000km service done. The dealer told me the suction control valve was worn out from the fuel (gunked-up) and the airbag clock spring had broken. I can understand the suction control valve being replaced, but I am absolutely astounded that an airbag spring can break when the airbags have never seen action!! How can something like that break? I also understand that the 10-year part of my 5/10 warranty only covers drivetrain components, but I feel a bit peeved about having to pay for the replacement of a part that is actually required to make the engine run (i.e. fuel delivery) so soon out of warranty. Do you think it worth my while writing to Mitsubishi about the two components, particularly the airbag spring, and requesting compensation of some sort?
Answered by CarsGuide20 Sep 2013
Yes, I do. You might not get the full amount reimbursed, but I think you have a good claim for part payment of the costs involved.
Other Mitsubishi Triton problems
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- What is the towing capacity of the Mitsubishi Triton?
- Why does the speedo in my 2004 Mitsubishi Triton bounce up and down and make a weird noise?
- What can I do about the red paint on my 2016 Mitsubishi Triton fading?
- Are there known problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton's intercooler pipes/hoses?
- What is causing my Mitsubishi Triton GLX auto to shudder?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2000: Problems putting it in reverse
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- Cars that start with E
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- Cars that start with G
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with N
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Cars that start with E
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
Cars that start with G
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with N
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing