Mercedes-Benz B-Class 2016: Can I use conventional tyres?
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class
- Mercedes-Benz B 250
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class 2016
- Mercedes-Benz B250 2016
- Mercedes-Benz Advice
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz B 250 Reviews
- Mercedes-Benz Hatchback Range
- Small Cars
Asked by Graeme
I have a 2016 Mercedes-Benz B-Class B250 4Matic with run-flat tyres. Could I use conventional tyres with, say, a puncture kit? Do you have any recommendations?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Apr 2020
Physically, there’s no problem with switching from run-flat to non run-flat tyres. You might even (almost certainly) find the car rides better than it did on run-flats and the Benz B-Class always had a fairly brittle ride, so any improvement is worthwhile.
Yes, you’ll have to arrange some sort of contingency should a flat tyre occur, but you can source a puncture repair kit pretty easily. There are even puncture-repair-in-a-can products (and have been for years) although they’re not always 100 per cent successful. If you’re keen, you could always find a space-saver spare from another model at a wrecking yard. Provided it’s the right diameter and the stud pattern matches, you’re good to go. Don’t forget to include the tools required to change a flat, though.
The other thing to do is to replace all four tyres at the same time. Driving around on a mix of run-flats and non run-flats is a bad idea and could give the car some evil handling traits, especially in the wet.
Other Mercedes-Benz B-Class problems
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class 2016: Can I use conventional tyres?
- Is it normal for five year-old Mercedes sensors to go out?
- B180 or ASX a better used buy?
- Softening B200 ride
- Benz B200 CDI stranded
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mercedes-Benz
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers