Mazda 6 vs Toyota Camry
- Holden Commodore
- Toyota Camry
- Mazda 6
- Holden Advice
- Mazda Advice
- Toyota Advice
- Holden Commodore Reviews
- Toyota Camry Reviews
- Mazda 6 Reviews
- Holden Sedan Range
- Holden Wagon Range
- Mazda Sedan Range
- Mazda Wagon Range
- Toyota Sedan Range
- Toyota Wagon Range
- Buying tips
- Buyers Guide
- Selling tips
Asked by Maureen
My husband and I want to purchase a new car to replace our 1994 dual-fuel VR Holden Commodore, which is starting to breakdown on a regular basis and is becoming unreliable.
We are not the sort who constantly upgrades cars and want to keep our new purchase for as long as possible. We like the Mazda 6 Touring but have also seriously been considering the Toyota Camry Ascent Sport Hybrid. My husband will mainly be driving it to work each day but we also want to use it on holidays in Victoria and also interstate. Our concern with the hybrid is will it, or its battery last as long as a traditional petrol vehicle.
What would you recommend for us?
Answered by CarsGuide1 Feb 2019
There’s no reason to think the Hybrid will not last as long as a regular petrol vehicle.
Toyota has been making hybrids for many, many years and they have never shown any sign of being less durable or reliable then the company’s petrol models. The batteries are said to last the lifetime of the vehicle, so there’s reason to be concerned about that either. The thing with the hybrid is the higher purchase price. That’s offset by the lower fuel consumption, so the longer you keep the vehicles the greater the chance to recoup the extra initial cost.
The other thing to consider is that hybrids work at their best in stop-start city traffic, they are not so good out on country roads where the petrol engine comes into play more of the time.
Other Holden Commodore problems
- Will a column-shift auto from a 1999 Holden Commodore ute fit into a 1996 model?
- What type of differential is fitted to the 2001 Holden Commodore?
- Holden Commodore 2010: Does this model suffer from the timing chain issue?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Holden Commodore 2002: Engine misfiring
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Fuel efficiency explained
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Fuel efficiency explained