Hyundai i30 2010: Knocking noise
- Hyundai i30
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai i30 Reviews
- Hyundai Hatchback Range
- Hyundai Wagon Range
- Car Servicing
- Small Cars
Asked by Judy Duncan
Recently my 2010 Hyundai i30 started making a knocking noise. It was not overheating, not blowing smoke and was running perfectly until then. The Hyundai dealer said that because the spark plugs were not changed at 45,000 km or 3 year they would not repair it at their cost. The car has only done 38,363 km and they are estimating it will cost $2245 or possibly more to repair. They haven't popped a scope in to have a look, they've just taken the spark plugs out and said one is broken and that the head will need to come off. Your opinion would be appreciated.
Answered by CarsGuide13 Mar 2015
It would seem that a part of a spark plug has dropped down into the engine and caused it to be damaged. If that's the case the only way to repair it is to take the head off and check to see what damage has been done. Once that has been established, and a cause worked out, you can then go forward with a plan to repair and negotiate with Hyundai about who pays the bill. I wouldn't recommend running the engine until the head comes off; if there are bits of a plug floating around inside the engine running it could cause more damage.
Other Hyundai i30 problems
- Does the 2.0-litre engine in a 2012 Hyundai i30 have a timing belt or chain?
- How do I stop the brake lights staying on in my 2018 Hyundai i30?
- What car should I replace my 2011 Hyundai i20 with?
- Does a 2010 Hyundai i30 have a timing belt or chain?
- Hyundai i30 2010: Why can I smell exhaust fumes in my car?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers